Thursday, March 22, 2012

Global warming?


      The above picture was taken about one year ago.  Quinn is standing on a pile of snow off the walkway in our yard, where it was piled up almost as high as our 6-foot fence.  He loved to climb that pile, look over into the neighbor's yard, slide down on his bumbo. 
      It's amazing to think that just one year ago, we actually had that much snow.  As it stands now, the spot where that pile of snow once lie, is green and springy, flower stalks pushing up from the earth, and lilac buds forming on the bush just over the fence.  This early springy, summery weather has been amazing this week, but surely we'll go back to winter weather soon, right?  It can't be over already, can it? 
      Don't get me wrong - I love the change of the seasons.  I'm done with winter and cold already, and am ready to watch my children play in the yard outside, watch my son ride his new bike, watch the girls run around the lush green grass in their bare little feet.  I'm ready for grilling and sitting outside, the smell of flowers in the air, listening to the birds and laughter by day, the crickets and peepers by night.  The past five days has been almost a seasonal time lapse photograph - what was brown and lifeless last weekend, is now becoming a vibrant green and budding and blossoming.  It's beautiful and promising, but I don't think I can put all my easter eggs in the basket just yet.  It is only March, after all; most years we still have snow on the ground and there can still be frosts, at least into April, or even May.  I don't want the weather to change back and kill the flowers and buds that have already answered the call of spring in the air.  And I definitely don't want to be cold again. 
     Not sure what to expect in the coming weeks; only time will tell.  Until then, guess I'll just embrace the warmth and enjoy the preemptive summery days.  I'll leave the discussion on global warming for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment